Operations Manager (m/f/d), Global Surge Team, Global
GRC is establishing a Global Surge Team (GST) with leadership, management and technical competencies to further increase its capacities to provide emergency response with the aim of enhancing quality of operations, timeliness and accountability in the delivery of effective humanitarian assistance in sudden onset disasters, conflict and protracted crises. The Global Surge Team is part of the Operations & National Society Cooperation Department in the International Cooperation Division of GRC, made up of highly trained professionals ready to be deployed anywhere in the world at short notice.
GRC is currently seeking an Operations Manager (m/f/d) to join our Global Surge Team. Global Surge Team members should be flexible and have the ability and willingness to be deployed to work in different roles and operational contexts in physically demanding working environments. While not on deployments, Global Surge Team members are tasked to support the regular capacity development and readiness activities of GRC’s Surge & Readiness Unit. This is a home-based role which will require extensive travel and overseas deployments at short notice for up to 3 months at a time for up to 50% of the total contract duration.
Duration: 01.01.2022 - 31.12.2022
Place of assignment: Home based with extensive travel overseas
- Deploy in emergency response missions with the GRC, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), or the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Manage emergency response and recovery operations at any stage of the project cycle according to approved plans and budgets
- Support or manage teams, and assess and assure an efficient and effective management of staff and resources
- Lead the process to develop and test Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA) in emergencies by providing technical and operational field support and to integrate CVA into Emergency Response Items (ERI) and Emergency Response Units (ERU)
- Contribute to the ERU Optimization Process and its implementation
- Contribute to the further improvement of the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) system in surge operations and the Surge & Readiness Unit
- Undertake specific projects or tasks, including training design, delivery and facilitation, as defined by the Surge & Readiness Unit
- At least 8 years of experience in disaster management, including 3 years of experience in working in humanitarian crisis and in managing staff
- At least 3 years of experience of working for the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement
- Experience of managing or coordinating complex emergency response and recovery operations, including needs assessments, proposal development, budgeting and MEAL
- Experience of implementing multi-sectoral and sectoral cash-based assistance and market-based interventions in relief and recovery contexts is an advantage
- Good understanding of IFRC and its Global Surge Tools, proven through the successful completion of an ERU and/or IFRC Tier Level 2 training
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to communicate clearly and effectively and build relationships at all levels, taking into account cultural and language differences
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Oral and written fluency in English, German and/or another language is an advantage
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Valid Driving Licence
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team with excellent learning and development opportunities. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during deployments. In addition to a full insurance package GRC provides equipment, both for working from home and while on deployment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment and a comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application until 28.11.2021 by using the GRC online application system.
We point out that the selection and nomination processes for this international delegate position may demand that information concerning your person be shared with involved Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement partners (IFRC, ICRC, National Society). This may include transmission into countries that do not apply data protection standards comparable to those of the European Union.